Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Artist Spotlight: Josh Benash

Josh Benash is a musician from New York who gained recognition as frontman for the avant-garde rock band Kiss Kiss. However, since Kiss Kiss' 2010 hiatus, Josh has fronted the band Vuvuzela as well as embarked on a solo career. He is currently working on a soundtrack for a video game seemingly titled Lucky Foot.

I discovered Josh Banash through Kiss Kiss several years ago. I first heard of the band when I dug out a used copy of their 2007 album Reality Vs. The Optimist at The Bruised Apple bookstore in Peekskill. I didn't have any way of hearing it before buying it at the time, so I bought it solely because the album title resonated with me (a fervent pessimist at the time). I popped the disc in the car's CD player on the way home, and my friend and I were completely caught off guard by what we were hearing. It was a mix of violin-driven circus/avant-garde sounds that was unlike anything we had ever heard before. It quickly became one of our new favorites, and soon after our discovery I went on iTunes and purchased their entire discography.
A few years later, I had just started attending college at SUNY Purchase when I stumbled upon some information on the internet about the band's formation. I was completely astounded to find out that Kiss Kiss was formed at my college! The strange coincidence strengthened my bond with Reality Vs. The Optimist, which is still to this day one of my favorite albums of all time.

I have been following Josh Benash's career throughout the years, and am excited at the news that he is working on a video game soundtrack. In addition to albums he's released with bands Kiss Kiss and Vuvuzela, he has also released three solo albums. What makes Josh's music so interesting is the unexpected array of sounds he utilizes. He's always pushing boundaries with his music, no matter what project he's working on. Case in point: his "waltz/punk/horror" band Vuvuzela doesn't have any guitars in it; instead, it's comprised of harp, upright bass, piano, and drums- an eclectic array of sounds to say the least. Always working on new projects, Josh also composes music for film and modern dance. The consistent shock value Josh's music provides certainly keeps his fans on their toes.

To keep up with all of Josh's projects, check out his website: http://www.joshuabenash.com/

(I don't own this image- all rights go to Josh Benash)

Also be sure to check out Get Off My Lawn Records, a co-op of artists pooling their resources to make cool stuff! Get 10% off anything in their catalog by using the code ninja1.

No comments:

Post a Comment